Name: Joshua SENEY Jr.
Given Name: Joshua
Birth: 20 Nov 1793 in Maryland
Death: 10 Feb 1854 in Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio
1. From the biography of George E Seney in "Men of Northwestern Ohio : a collection of portraits and biographies of well known men in this section of the professional, business and commercial world : prefaced with historical sketches and full page views." Bowling Green, Ohio: C.S. Van Tassel, 1898, 568 pgs
Change Date: 26 Jul 2011 at 16:06:14
Joshua Seney Jr was the son of Joshua aforementioned and grandson of Commodore Nicholson through his mother. He was born on the eastern shore of Maryland, orphaned at the age of four by the sudden death of his father and taken by his mother to New York to live in the family of her father, the commodore. His education received careful supervision. At the age of 18 he filled the delicate and responsible position of private secretary to Albert Gallatin, his uncle, while the latter was a member of Thomas Jefferson's cabinet.
He opened a law office at Uniontown immediately after marriage to Ann Ebbert and soon established himself as a lawyer. In 1832 he removed with his young family to Tiffin, Ohio, where he lived 22 years. He was clerk of the supreme court for several years, and treasurer of his county four years. He possessed, in a high degree, the attributes of a polished gentleman, accustomed to the best society without having learned the practical uses and the value of money in the school of necessity.
2. 1850 Ohio Census
Tiffin, Seneca County
Joshua Seney 56 Lawyer $4,500 b. MD
Ann E. " 46 b. PA
Matilda " 22 b. PA
George E. " 20 Lawyer b. PA
Sarah B. " 16 b. OH
Joshua R. " 11 b. OH
Josephine G. " 9 b. OH
Henry W. " 3 b. OH
Catherine Studebacker 44 b. PA
3. History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County with Illustrations and Biogrtaphical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Men by C. W. Williamson, Press of W. M Linn & Sons, Columbus, Ohio, 1905
Graduated from Columbia College and the University Law School.
Nephew of Albert Gallatin and was the private secretaru of that gentleman when he was Secretary of the United States Treasure.
Married Ann Ebbert who he met in Uniontown, PA.
Lawyer in Uniontown, PA, where he declined the appointment of United States Judge for the western district of PA which was tendered to him by President Andrew Jackson.
Moved to Ohio in 1832 and lived there until his death in 1854.
Had four daughters: one died young; one, the wife of George W. Howell of Columbus, OH, died in 1883; two, Mrs. Frances M. Crum and Mrs. Harvey Redick, resided in Toledo, OH. His three sons were Heorge E., in Tiffin; Joshua R. in Toledo and Henry W. in Kenton, OH. Joshua R. and Henry W. Seney were lawyers. Bot also were judges with Henry W. Seney servung on the circuit court for the Third Judicial Circuit of Ohio.
Treasurer of Seneca County for two terms and clerk of the supreme court for many years.
4. U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970 for great grandson
5. Ohio Obituary Index, 1830s-2009, Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
Father: Joshua SENEY b: 4 Mar 1756 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
Mother: Frances (Fanny) NICHOLSON b: 24 Mar 1771 in New York, New York
Anna Wood EBBERT b: 13 Sep 1803 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Note: 1. History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County with Illustrations and Biogrtaphical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Men by C. W. Williamson, Press of W. M Linn & Sons, Columbus, Ohio, 1905
- Frances Matilda SENEY b: May 1828/1829 in Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
- Hannah M. SENEY b: 1830 in Pennsylvania
- George Ebbert SENEY b: 29 May 1832 in Uniontown, Fayette, Pennsylvania
- Sarah B (E.) SENEY b: Dec 1836 in Ohio
- Joshua Robert SENEY b: 30 Mar 1839 in Tiffin, Seneca County,Ohio
- Josephine C. SENEY b: 1841 in Ohio
- Henry William SENEY b: 23 May 1847 in Tiffin, Senaca County,Ohio