Name: William BURGESS
Given Name: William
Birth: 1622 in Wiltshire, England
Death: 4 Jan 1686 in All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
1. Transported to Lower Norfolk County, Virginia, prior to 1646.
Change Date: 12 Apr 2006 at 10:44:58
A. Virginia Land Records, Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents, Page 696 - William Mills was granted 350 acres in the county of James City on the south side of the river for transporting seven persons including a William Burgess.
B. Lower Norfolk Co., VA deeds, wills and orders 2:16, FHL microfilm 0,032,823
2.Immigrated to Maryland in 1650 as a free adult with his wife and children from Virginia.
Transported Anthony Holland and Thomas Hilliard at the same time - Maryland Land Patents, Liber Q, folio 403, GS film 0013 064.
Maryland Land Patents, Liber ABH, folio 40, GS film 0013064.
Granted "all that Parcell of Land called Burgh lying on the west side of Chesapeake Bay and on the south side of a River in the Bay called South River next adjoining to land lately laid out unto George Westill and Thomas Besson".
Religion: Puritan, perhaps a Quaker. He refused to take an oath in 1658.
3. Colonel William Burgess originally came to Jamestown, Virginia. However, as a result of differences in opinion about the strict Puritan religious practices in Jamestown, in 1650 he led a group of 150 settlers to Anne Arundel County, Maryland, where they were given land (South River Hundred) by Lord Baltimore. William Burgess married Elizabeth Robins. He became a very successful merchant, public servant and one of the largest land owners in the Maryland Colony. In 1663, he became head of the Commissioners of Anne Arundel County. In 1664, he was High Sheriff but resigned to lead the fight against the Indians. In 1665, having already reached the rank of Captain, he was appointed by Charles Calvert to be Commander in Chief of the militias of Anne Arundel, Kent and other counties. He was one of the Council of War in 1655 and in 1657 was appointed by Governor Josias Fendell to Commissioner and Associate Justice of the new county of Anne Arundel. He also was a Justice in 1674, 1676, and 1678; a delegate to the Lower House in 1668-69, in 1671, in 1676 and in 1678-79. He was a member of the Upper House of the colonial legislature from 1682 until his death in 1687. His tombstone relates that: ?He was a member of his Lordship?s Council of States, one of the Lordship?s Deputy Governors; a Justice of ye High Provincial Court; Colonel of a regiment of ye trained bands and some time General of all ye military forces of this province?. His will of July 11, 1685 names seven sons and three daughters. His sons were Edward, George, William, John, Joseph, Benjamin and Charles. John and Joseph died early. George and Benjamin Burgess went to England to live. His daughters were Susanna, Elizabeth and Anne.
William?s son Edward Burgess married Sarah Chew and their daughter Elizabeth Burgess married William Nicholson. Like his father, Edward Burgess became prominent in public affairs. He was a Justice of Anne Arundel County in 1680, 1685, and 1689 and was a member of the House of Burgesses in 1704. During the lifetime of his father, he was one of the Commissioners who had charge of the opening of the port of London Town, a place that had been founded by his father. He was the executor and heir of Capt. George Puddington, a wealthy and prominent citizen of Anne Arundel County and a relative of the Robins family into which Colonel William Burgess married. For a time, Edward Burgess was a Captain of Foot. The sons named in his will were: Samuel and John. He also had two daughters, Sarah and Elizabeth.
From: Maryland Historical Magazine vol. 19, 1924:
Article" LONDONTOWN ON SOUTH RIVER, ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, MD.
(240TH ANNIVERSARY OF ITS FOUNDING. 1683-1923.)
by HENRY J. BERKLEY
"In 1650, a Captain William Burgess, a sea-faring man who had evidently been some time in the Palatinate, settled with his brother-in-law, Richard Beard, on the south bank of South River, about three miles from the mouth. He established a fleet of small ships trading between Maryland and Bristol. In the same year a company of one hundred and fifty immigrants were brought over seas by him, and settled in his neighborhood.
Captain Burgess built a wharf on his property, which, after the Act of 1683 became Londontown. Annapolis was too far off for easy communication, while the new site was accessible to the rich country lying to the southwards, between South River and Herring Creek. Burgess in the same year laid off a portion of his plantation into town lots, and associated with him, in the enterprise, Richard Beard, Thomas Besson and Nicholas Gassaway. Thomas Lynthecombe, a neighbor, became the first purchaser of a plot in the new town.1
The proprietary determined to locate a Court House on the South River as soon as a suitable building could be constructed. This Court House was immediately built on a twenty five foot lot, and appears to have been the forum for many legal contentions.
1No plan of the town site can be found, nor can the actual number of lots be determined. No. 62 is the highest number ascertainable. The town land covered 50 to 60 acres.
Furthermore, a Commission of neighboring land owners of the neighborhood was appointed, under William Burgess, who mainly conducted the affairs of the infant town. After the death of Commissioner Burgess (whose body lies buried under a tomb stone on the Steuart farm, about half a mile from the river) his son, Edward, was appointed by the Council, Justice and Commissioner
4. See biography in Papenfuse.
Caution: Papenfuse et al.lists William Burgess as the brother of Joseph Burgess of Wiltshire, England and Anne Arundel County. and Robert Barnes in "British Roots of Maryland Families" stated that William of Maryland was the William bap. 2 July 1626 at St. Peter and Paul, Marlborough, son of William BURGESS, and brother to Joseph BURGESS bap. 11 Feb. 1611, and Daniel born ca. 1612. He also stated it was this Joseph that wrote the MD will. As F. Z. Saunders points out (http://pweb.netcom.com/~fzsaund/burgesseng.html), "There are errors in this identification of Joseph, as shown below from the church records, and the will of John KEYNES. If William of Maryland were the above son of William BURGES, it would be very strange that no mention was made of him in his will written in 1640".
Following taken from Saunders web page for a detailed discussion of this topic (http://pweb.netcom.com/~fzsaund/burgesseng.html):
The English origin of William BURGESS of Anne Arundel Co., MD would point to Marlborough, Wiltshire. Joseph BURGER [BURGES] of Wilts., England and Anne Arundel Co., MD wrote his will in 1672 and named his mother, then the wife of John KEYNES of Marlborough, and brothers and sisters Isaac, Daniel, Elizabeth PARKER, William, Samuel, Jeremia, Anne, and Mary.1
Further connection is shown that on 30 Nov. 1672 John KEYNES of Marlborough, Wiltshire produced a deed to Benjamin LAWRENCE of Marlborough, chandler, for the sale of land in Anne Arundel Co., MD, and a letter of attorney to William BURGES, Thomas TAYLOR, Nathaniel HEATHWICKE, and George PUDDINGTON so that KEYNES could enter the land and give possession to LAWRENCE.2
Harry Wright NEWMAN went as far to hint, but not actually state the brother William named in the will of Joseph was the William BURGESS of Anne Arundel Co., MD.3 Robert W. BARNES stated that William of Maryland was the William bap. 2 July 1626 at St. Peter and Paul, Marlborough, son of William BURGESS, and brother to Joseph BURGESS bap. 11 Feb. 1611, and Daniel born ca. 1612. He also stated it was this Joseph that wrote the MD will.4 There are errors in this identification of Joseph, as shown below from the church records, and the will of John KEYNES. If William of Maryland were the above son of William BURGES, it would be very strange that no mention was made of him in his will written in 1640.
The will of William BURGIS of Marlborough, Wiltshire was written 14 June 1640, probated 6 Nov. 1641.5 He named his wife Alice BURGES; daughter Mary the wife of Edward PUTTMAN; daughter Martha wife of Edward HUTCHINS; daughter Elizabeth BURGIS, his youngest daughter, for her marriage portion the bond of 100 pounds due unto him from Mr. Christopher FOWLER, and also bequeathed her additional sums of money; son Isacke BURGIS; Mary and Elizbeth BURGIS daughters of Joseph BURGIS, deceased; the lease he bought in Gloucestershire and made over to his son Joseph, deceased, to be held by his daughter-in-law Elizabeth BURGIS and her mother during their lives; residue to son Daniel who was made executor. Very good friends brother-in-law William BLISSETT, Thomas HUNT, and William BARNES were overseers. Wit.: Nicholas PROFFITT, William BLISSETT, Jun., George THOMAS.
CASE AND OPINION OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Recorded in Liber T. L. No. 2, Fol. 763, 764.
Construction of a devise.
551. William Burgess, of Maryland, makes his last will and testament, and in a clause thereof, makes the following devise, and dies.
"Item. I give, grant and bequeath unto my son, William Burgess, and to his heirs, for ever, all that messuage, land and plantation, with the apurtenances whereon I now dwell, situate, lying and being near South River, in Anne Arundel County, with 800 acres adjoining, which I purchased of one George Wastall, on a part whereof is a town apointed, called London; provided always, and my will is, that my dear and loving wife, Ursula, shall, and may have, possess and enjoy to her own proper use and benefit, all and singular, the premises before mentioned to be given, for and during the term, and until my son, William Burgess, accomplishes the age of twenty-one years, and also afterwards, for and during the term of her natural life, excepting all rights, profits, benefits, commodities, advantages and privileges of London, or port of London; and likewise of the full quantity of 200 acres, of the said 800 acres of land, lying and being next to the said land, surveyed and laid out for the said town or port."
The said William, the son, of the age of twenty-five years, and issueless, died before Ursula, and so was never possessed of the premises. Then Ursula dies.
Quaere. Whether the heir at law of the said William, the father, (for he had sons by a former venter,) or the heirs at law of William, the son, (for he had brothers by the same venter), shall inherit the said land?
It is most plain that the inheritance of the plantation vested in William Burgess, the son, by the will of the father, as by purchase, and from him will descend to his next brother of the whole blood; and it is not material that he died in the lifetime of his mother, he taking by purchase, and not by descent. Therefore there is no pretence for the brother of the half blood, who is heir to the father, to claim his plantation, since whoever is entitled, must be so, as heir to William the son, which none but the whole blood can be.
EDWARD NOTLEY, March 9th, 1702-3.
Wills exist for his son Joseph BURGESS, of "Almonsberie" Gloucestershire, written 22 Mar. 1638, and probated 15 Nov. 16396 and this William's brother-in-law William BLISSETT of Marlborough, Gentleman, written 12 Nov. 1642, probated 29 Dec. 16467 that have not been abstracted here.
The father of the Joseph BURGES of the Anne Arundel Co., MD will was Isaac, son of the above William. Isaac was probably born about 1615.8 The church records9 show that Isaac married Anne YORK 13 Aug. 1640. Isaac BURGES was buried on 10 Oct. 1668. His widow Anne secondly married John KEYNES on 17 Jan. 1669. Mr. John KEYNES was buried 13 Dec. 1675.
The will of John KEYNES (abstract below) and the church records show Isaac BURGES and Anne YORK had children:
1. Isaac bap. 7 Jan. 1641; bur. 15 Apr. 1679
2. Anne 20 Nov. 1642
3. Joseph b. ca. 1644; d. 1672 Anne Arundel Co., MD
4. Daniel b. ca. 1646
5. Elizabeth b. ca. 1648; m. Mr. PARKE/PARKER
6. William b. ca. 1651
7. Mary bap. 1 Sep. 1654; bur. Dec. 1654
8. Samuel bap. 25 Jan. 1656
9. Jeremiah bap. 17 July 1658
10.Mary bap. 12 Oct. 1660
The will of John KEYNES of Marlborough was written 1 Jan. 1674 and probated 20 Mar. 1675.10 He named his wife Anne KEYNES and made numerous bequests to children and grandchildren from a prior marriage, and other relatives. He also made bequests to his wife's son Isaack BURGES, his wife's son Daniel BURGES, his wife's daughter PARKE, his wife's son William BURGES, his wife's son Samuell BURGES at 21, his wife's son Jeremy BURGES at 22, his wife's daughter Anne, and his wife's daughter Mary at 18. Also mentioned was his "brother-in-law" Mr. Daniel BURGES.
The LDS Ancestral File contains a listing that a Daniel BURGESS born about 1599 at Stains, Sutton Magna, Wiltshire marrried Catherine and had children Elizabeth (Parker), Joseph, Samuel, William, Jeremiah, Anne, Mary, Isaac, Daniel, BURGESS. Note these are the same 9 siblings that come from the the will of Joseph BURGES of Anne Arundel County, including the distinctive Elizabeth PARKE[R]. The source of William being called the son of Daniel is unknown, but if he indeed was, then someone has erroneously attached the children of Isaac to Daniel.
1. Joseph Burger [Burges] will, Maryland wills 1:615-618, FHL microfilm 0,012,841.
2. Peter Wilson Coldham, Lord Mayor's Court of London Depositions Relating to Americans, (Washington, D.C.: National Genealogical Society, 1980), 41.
3. Harry Wright Newman, Anne Arundel Gentry, (Annapolis, Maryland: by author, 1970), 2nd Ed., I: 1.
4. Robert W. Barnes, British Roots of Maryland Families, (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1999), 90-91.
5. William Burgis will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, (1641),129 Evelyn, FHL microfilm 0,092,151.
6. Joseph Burges will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, (1639), 178 Harvey, FHL microfilm 0,092,145.
7. William Blissett will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, (1646) 183 Twisse, FHL microfilm 0,092,162.
8. Estimate from marriage date.
9. Parish Register, St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, Marlborough, Wiltshire, England, FHL microfilm 0,097,839.
10. John Keynes will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 31 Bench, (1676), FHL microfilm 0,092,316.
5. Will - Maryland Calendar of Wills, Vol 2, 1685-1702, Calendar of Wills 1685-1702, Page 146
Maryland wills 4:242-245, FHL microfilm 0,012,843
Burgess, William, South R., Anne Arundel Co.,
11th July, 1685
19th Feb., 1686-7
To son Edward, porsonalty conditionally; and to William and Elisa:, child. of sd. Edward, to dau. Susanna, wife of Maj. Nicholas Sewell, and to grandchild., Charles and Jeanne Sewell, personalty.
" son George, personalty.
" son William at 21 yrs.of age, and hrs., plantation on South R., 800 A., and containing the ?Town of London;? also 480 A., ?Betty's Choice,? in Baltimore Co.
" son John at 21 yrs. of age, and hrs., ?Morley's Lot,? ?Bednall Green,? ?Benjamin's Choice,? and ?Benjamin's Addition,? 800 A., on Herring Ck.
" son Joseph at 21 yrs. of age, and hrs., ?West Puddington,? ?Beard's Habitation,? 1, 300 A., on South R.
" son Benjamin at 21 yrs of age, and hrs., ?Bessesston,? nr. the Ridge, 300 A., and ?Burgess' Choice,? 400 A., on South R.
" son Charles at 21 yrs. of age, and hrs., 1, 600 A. at hd. of Sassafras R., Cecil Co., and 500 A. on Susquehannock R., Baltimore Co.
In event of death of any of afsd. 5 sons without issue, their share to pass to eld. survivor and hrs.
To daus. Eliza:, Ann and Susanna Burgess, personalty at 16 yrs. of age or marriage.
Wife Ursula, extx. and residuary legatee of estate, real and personal, in Md. and England, and to have care of sons and daus. afsd. during minority.
Overseers: Maj. Nich. Sewell, Maj. Nich. Gassaway, Capt. Henry Hanslap.
Test: Thos. Frances, Michael Cusack, Jno. Harison, Wm. Elvidge, Jno. Edwards.
William Burgess' Will also was probated at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, England, further indcating as stated in his Will, that he had maintained an estate in England.
Will of William Burges of South River in the County of Anne Arundel in the Province of Maryland, North America Date 05 July 1689
Catalogue reference PROB 11/396
Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Series Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers
Piece Name of Register: Ent Quire Numbers: 91 - 138
6. Tombstone of Colonel William Burgess removed from orginal burial site on farm named Mt. Steuart and owned at the time by George Steuart to the churchyard of All Hallow's Church:
"Here lyeth the body of william Burgess, Esq., who departed this life on ye 24 day of Janu Anno Domini 1686 Aged 64 years. Leaving his dear beloved wife Ursula & Eleven children viz.: seven sons and four daughters and 8 grandchildren. In his life time he was a member of His Lordship's Council of Estate, One of his Lordship's deputy Governors a Justice of ye High Provincial Court Collon of a Regiment of the trained Guards and sometime Generall of all the Military forces of this Province. His loving wife Ursula his Execut in testimony of her true respect and due regard to the worthy deserts of her dear departed husband hath erected this Memorial."
7.. "Anne Arundel Gentry, A Genealogical History of Some Early Families of Anne Arundel County, Maryland" by Harry Wright Newman, vol. 1, Family Line Publications.
Page created by: email@example.com Fredric Z. Saunders 1234 Waterside Cove #21 Midvale, UT 84047-4293 Last revised: 25 Oct. 2001
9. Anne Arundel County Land Records
Anne Arundel Co. 1666 William Burgess
Burgeses Choice, 400 Acres; Certificate Developer/Owner: Burgess, William 1666 Patent Record 9, p. 95 0 0 MSA S 1581-810
Burgeses Choice, 400 Acres; Patent Developer/Owner: Burgess, William 1666 Patent Record 9, p.471 0 0 MSA S 1581-811
Burgeses Choice, 400 Acres; Patent Developer/Owner: Burgess, William 1666 Patent Record 10, p. 421 0 0 MSA S 1581-812
Burgeses Choice, 400 Acres; Patent Developer/Owner: Burgess, William 1666 Patent Record 19, p.
10. Maryland Wills Bk 2, folio 6, GS film 0012841
George Puddington of South River, Anne Arundel County
16 August 1674
24 September 1674
Georges Burgess, Wm. Burgess & Susannah Burgess, children of Capt. Wm. Burgess...
wife Jane. Edward Burgess, son of Capt. Wm. Burgess was the residuary heir and executor.
11. From: "Anne Arundel Gentry, A Genealogical History of Some Early Families of Anne Arundel County, Maryland" by Harry Wright Newman, vol. 1, Family Line Publications.
"William Burgess was born in or about 1622, according to deposition and was consequently about 28 years old when he emigrated to the Proince of Maryland in 1650. It was not until February 9, 1658/59, that he received his land-rights for his own emigration 'in anno 1650' and transporting Anthony Holland and Thomas Hilliard at the same time. He was granted 'all that Parcell of Land Called the Burgh lying on the west side of Chesapeake Bay and on the south side of a River in the Bay called South River next adjoining to land lately laid out unto George Westhill and Thomas Besson.
About the time of his settlement, the non-conformists were coming up from Virginia to the Severn plantations and immediately became involved with proprietary autjorities over their unorthodox tendencies, eventually involving the young Province in Civil War. During the days of the Commonwealth, William Burgess was definitely a member of the Puritan Party and actively participated in the Province under a group of Parliamentary COmmissioners. It was he, who with Richard Ewens, whose widow he later married, and others sat as a Council of War and condemned to death practically all the Proprietary Councilors and several lesser men. Although the life of some was ultimately spared, William Eltonhead and other faced the firing squad.
After the downfall of the Cromwellians in England, Lord Baltimore regained control of his Province, at which time William Burgess aligned himself with the liberal element under Governor Josias Fendall. At a meeting of the Council held on July 22, 1658, the High Sheriff of Anne Arundel County reported that all Justices of the Peace had taken the oath 'all but William Burges and Thomas Meares who pretended it was in no case lawful to sweare'. He held the office of Justice of Peace during the Commonwealth, for a court held in and for Anne Arundel County on March 13, 1556/7, Captain Wm Burges was one of the Commissioners. Thereis definite proof that he was a Justice of the Peace for Anne Arundel, other than the years already cited, in 1665, 1674-1676 and 1679-1680.
At the General Assembly which met at St. Clement's Manor in St. Mary's County from February-March 1659/60, 'Lieutenant William Burges' presented his credentials as being elected by the freeholders of Anne Arundel County. He certainly represented his county in 1664, inasmuch as the Assembly for that year voted 'Capt William Burges' 1050 lbs tob. under the heading of 'Burgesses Expenses thier necessary expenses for meat drink and lodginge for themselves and charges for boate'. He consistently served in the Lower House from 1669 to 1682.
In 1663 as Captain William Burges, he was High Sheriff for Anne Arundel, and in 1683 Colonel William Burges and his son, Edward Burges, were among those who were commissioned to 'Survey and Manage the Building the Court House'.
As early as 1660 he was addressed as 'Lieutenant' and in 1664 as 'Captain'. In 1667 he was ordered 'to raise out several companies of militia in Anne Arundel County 62 men to proceed against the Indians'. The Council in session 1675 ordered 'Colonel Samuel Chew and Major William Burgess...doe imediately raise the forces under their command to follow and pursue the enemyes (Indians)' who had committed several murders 'at the head of Anne Arundel County'. On July 13, 1676, Colonel William Burges was ordered to attend a Council of War to be held at St. Mary's on 20th of that month.
The council preceded the declaration of was against the Nanticoke Indians on the Eastern Shore, at which time he was made the Commander-in-Chief. He was ordered to raise a detachment of troops from St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles Counties and to sail for the mouth of the Nanticoke River where he was to assume command as 'Command in Chiefe'. His commssion, rather lengthy, empowered him to negotiate a traty of peace with the Emperor of the Nanticoke in council with colonel Henry Coursey, Chritopher Rousby, Colonel William Colebourne, William Stevens and John White. For his services he was voted 6000 lbs tob.
After this campaign on the Eastern Shore he assisted Colonel George Wells and other military leaders on the frontier in Baltimore County. In 1681 he was referred to as a Colonel William Burges,a Protestant, and in command of the Foote in Anne Arundel County.
In or about 1683 he was appointed by Lord Baltimore a member of the Proprietary Council. He took his seat for the first time during the session October-November 1683. He continued to serve in that capacity until his death.
After his settlement on South River, William Burgess married Elizabeth Robbins, the daughter of Edward Robins, late of Accomac County, Virginia. She was the sister to Madam Jane Puddington and had been transported into Maryland on or about March 17, 1649/50, by her brother-in-law, George Puddington, who also brought in Jane,his wife, and their daughters Mary and Comfort, and several servants. Rachel Robbins, another sister, had married Richard Beard, Quaker, who settled also in South River Hundres. Richard Beard by his will of 1673, but not approved in Anne Arundel County until 1681, appointed his'brother-in-law William Burgess', one of the overseers of his estate...
On July 22, 1674, as Captain William Burgess, he purchases from George Wells of Baltimore County, Gent., John Wells of Kent County, Getn., and Robert Wells of Kent County, Gent., all sons of Richard Wells, late of Herring Creek, Gent., deceased, inasmuch as 'Lord Baltimore granted on September 11, 1663, to Richard Wells, CHirurgeon, Benjamin Choice, lying westward of Herring Creek in the woods containing 280 acres, and adjoining the land of Francis Holland and whereas Lord Baltimore granted to Joseph Morley Morley's Lot of 300 acres...' therefore for 30,000 lbs tob. Captain William Burgess was conveyed 'Benjamin's Choice', Morley's Lot', 'Bednall Green' and 'Benjamin's Addition'. Blance Wells, wife of George, and Ann Wells, wife of John, waived all dower rights.
Colonel William Burgess styled himself of "South River" in hislast will and testament dated July 11, 1685, and probated in Anne Arundel County on February 19, 1686/87. It was also probated at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The witnesses were Thmas Frances, Micharl Cusick, John Harrison, William Elvidge and Jon Edwards...
His personal estate was appraised on October 11, 1687, by Thomas Knighton, Mareen Duvall and Henry Ridgely, who made his X mark and displayed the style in which he lived. The various items were listed according to the rooms and the several plantations; New Roome, Closett, parlour, Chamber, Milk House, Seller, Side HOuse, Store and Old Kitchen. The store was in London Town, and at the Bessington Pantation were the New Kitchen, Store, and the personalty at Beard Plantation. Among the items in the New Room of the dwelling were: 1 silver bason, 1 silver tankard, 1 dozen spoons, 2 silver cups and 2 silver porringers."
Elizabeth ROBINS b: in London, England c: 20 May 1635 in England
in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Edward BURGESS b: ABT 1651/1655 in South River, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- George BURGESS b: BEF 1658 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Susanna BURGESS b: ABT 1659
Ursula PAINTER (PROBABLY)
- William BURGESS b: ABT 1668 in South River, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Charles BURGESS b: AFT 1662 in South River, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Elizabeth BURGESS b: AFT 1665
- Benjamin BURGESS b: ABT 1670
- Joseph BURGESS b: ABT 1673
- John BURGESS b: ABT 1675
- Anne BURGESS b: 7 Oct 1680 in All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Susanna BURGESS b: ABT 1684
- Title: http://home.netcom.com/~fzsaund/burgess.html
Author: Fredric Z. Saunders, Salt Lake City, UT
- Title: A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789
Author: Edward C. Papenfuse, Alan F. Day, David W. Jordan, and Gregory A. Stiverson
Publication: The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London, 1985
HOPPER, WILLIAM (by 1747-1806). BORN: between 1741 and 1747 in Queen Anne's County; only son. NATIVE: third generation. RESIDED: in Queen Anne's County (later became part of Caroline County) until 1785; Queen Anne's County, 1785 until death. FAMILY BACKGROUND. FATHER: William Hopper (1707-1772). MOTHER: Mary Anne (?-1747), daughter of Thomas Hynson Wright (1688-1747) and wife Mary Turbutt; granddaughter of Solomon Wright (ca. 1655-1717). STEPMOTHER: Sarah Dockery (?-ca. 1775). UNCLE: Thomas Wright (?-ca. 1784). AUNT: Ann Wright (?-by 1754), who married Edward Oldham (1709 - 1773). SISTER: Mary Anne (1742-by 1792), who married second, James Bordley (? - a. 1793). HALF SISTERS: Mary; Elizabeth (1739 - 1806), who married Joseph Nicholson, Jr. (?-1786); Henrietta; Sally (?-1761); and Dorothy. FIRST COUSINS: Samuel Turbutt Wright(1749-1810); Ann Oldham (?-by 1794), who married Joshua Clarke (?-1781); Hannah Oldham (?-1828), who married Nicholas Martin (1743-ca.1808). MARRIED first, by 1769 his first cousin Elizabeth (?-by 1776), daughter of Edward Oldham (1709-1773) and wife Ann Wright (?-by 1754); stepdaughter of Ann Goldsborough (1732-?); granddaughter of John Oldham (?-1729); stepgranddaughter of Nicholas Goldsborough (ca. 1689-1766); niece of Hannah Oldham (1702-1759), who married James Edge (ca. 1710-1757), Mary Anne Wright (?-1747), who married William Hopper(1707-1772), and Thomas Wright (?-ca. 1784); stepniece of Thomas Goldsborough (ca. 1728-1793). Her sisters were Anne (?-by 1794), who married Joshua Clarke(?-1781); Hannah (?-1828), who married Nicholas Martin (1743-ca. 1808); and Mary (7-by 1772). Her first cousins were Samuel Turbutt Wright(1749-1810); Mary Ann Hopper (1742-by 1792), who married second, James Bordley (?-ca. 1793). ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: by 1759 Elizabeth and her sister Anne were living with their aunt Hannah Oldham Edge from whom they inherited the lands of their uncle James Edge(ca. 1710-1757). MARRIED second, on April 17, 1776, Ann, daughter of Daniel Cox. CHILDREN: SONS William (?-1793); Daniel Cox (1777-?), a lawyer by 1807; Thomas Wright (1783-?), a surgeon's mate in the Thirty-eighth Regiment, Maryland Militia in 1808, who married on August 9, 1808, Ann Emory (ca. 1789-1821) Philemon Blake (1791-?), a lawyer, who married first, Rebecca (ca. 1794-1822), and second, on September 2, 1822, Margaret Anne Thomas, and William (a minor in 1807). DAUGHTERS: Sarah (1779-?); Mary (1787-?); and Anna Maria. PRIVATE CAREER EDUCATION: entered the University of Pennsylvania on May 3, 1762, attended until 1765, but did not graduate. RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION: Anglican; Methodist by 1794. SOCIAL STATUS AND ACTIVITIES: Gent., 1767, subscriber to Washington College, Chestertown, Kent County. OCCUPATIONAL PROFILE: merchant, 1774, in partnership with James Kent (ca. 1738-1805); farmer, 1795. PUBLIC CAREER LEGISLATIVE SERVICE: Convention, Caroline County, 5th, 1775; Lower House, Caroline County, 1780 (elected, but did not attend; resigned on November 1, 1780), 1781-1782, 1782 - 1783, 1783. LOCAL OFFICES: St. Paul's Parish Vestry, Queen Anne's County, in office 1771-1774; justice, Queen Anne's County, commissioned 1773 and 1794; Committee of Correspondence, Caroline County, elected 1774; sheriff, Caroline County, commissioned 1774, 1775, 1777, and 1778; trustee for the poor, Queen Anne's County, 1801 - 1805. MILITARY SERVICE: captain Caroline County Militia, by 1777, colonel, by 1806. Criticized by Col. Mordecai Gist in a letter to Gov. Thomas Johnson after the Battle of Germantown in 1777 in which Hopper was said to have been attacked "with qualms of sickness" that forced him to leave his regiment when under attack. WEALTH DURING LIFE TIME. PERSONAL PROPERTY: assessed value £1,015.0.0 current money, including 20 slaves 1783; at least 21 slaves, 1803. Declared insolvent in 1788, at which time his personal property included 59 slaves and 86 oz. plate; he was able to repurchase 21 of these slaves in 1803. LAND AT FIRST ELECTION: at least 3,167 acres in Queen Anne's, Talbot, and Caroline counties (at least 1,028 acres inherited from his father; 1,877 acres through his first marriage, at least 1,297 acres of which was given to his wife in 1759 by her aunt Hannah Edge, widow of James Edge; and one-third share of 786 acres held in partnership with John Markland and John Brown). SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN LAND BETWEEN FIRST ELECTION AND DEATH: obtained 1,713 acres through his second marriage, 1776; charged with 4,246 acres in Queen Anne's, Talbot, and Caroline counties, 1783; turned at least 4,753 acres over to trustees when he declared insolvency 1788; repurchased ca. 3,400 acres, 1803. WEALTH AT DEATH: Died: in late November 1806 in Queen Anne?s County; size of estate unknown.