Name: Richard CORNISH
Given Name: Richard
Birth: 1578/1579 in Tiverton, Devon, England
Christening: 25 Jan 1578/1579
Burial: 29 Sep 1625
Note: St. Peter's Parish Register, Church of England, Tiverton, England, read by Devon Record Office, Exeter, England.
Change Date: 10 Feb 2002 at 22:00:00|
Father: George CORNISH b: ABT 1540 in Tiverton, Devon, England
Mother: Maria (Mary) LAWRENCE
27 Jun 1604
- Note: Charles F. C. Luxmore, transcriber, Registers of the Parish of Huntsham 1559-1900, (Exeter: William Pollard & Co., Ltd, North Stree, 1905), FHL microfilm 0,917,150.
- Jane CORNISH c: 6 Jan 1606/1607 in Tiverton, England
- John CORNISH c: 14 Mar 1609/1610 in Tiverton, England
- Jane CORNISH c: 14 Aug 1612 in Tiverton, Devon, England
- Alice CORNISH c: 28 Aug 1614 in Tiverton, England
- Thomas CORNISH b: ABT 1616
- Grace CORNISH c: 14 Feb 1618/1619 in Tiverton, England
- Title: http://home.netcom.com/~fzsaund/cornish.html
Author: Fredric Z. Saunders,Salt Lake City, UT
Further details and documentation of this family can be found in an article by Fredric Z. Saunders in the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, 42: 51-101 (Winter 2001).
The following is a quote from Fredric Z. Saunder's Web page on the Cornish family:
Walter Cornish of Tiverton, Devon, England was descended from the "Cornish of Cornish Hall" in Cornwall.1 While this location has not been identified the arms and crest used by Walter's grandson George is nearly identical to that of the CORNISH family of Marazion, Cornwall.18 The only apparent differences are that the arms of George CORNISH contain a crescent on both the chevron and on the Cornish chough, and the plant growing from the base of the crest of the George CORNISH arms contain small circles (berries?) not seen on the Marazion arms. My understanding of heraldry is that a crescent represents descent from a second son. Anyone more knowledgable of heraldry please contact me. The earliest known person on the Marazion family is William CORNISH, Esq. who was buried 4 Dec. 1779, age 59.19 It may be that the CORNISH family of Tiverton, Devon and that from Marazion, Cornwall descend from a not too distant common ancestor.