Entries: 45673    Updated: 2013-01-12 06:49:17 UTC (Sat)    Owner: Bruce    Home Page: Family & Ancestry of Bruce L. Nicholson  Note: You will leave RootsWeb

Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM

  • ID: I19
  • Name: James NICHOLSON
  • Surname: NICHOLSON
  • Given Name: James
  • Prefix: Commodore
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 1737/1738 in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland
  • Death: 2 Sep 1804 in New York City
  • Burial: 3 Sep 1804 Family Vault, Trinity Church, New York Cityt
  • _UID: A5908F6F9731D5118680EF90A100BA0BCC6C
  • Note:
    1. Commodore-in-Chief James Nicholson
    (1736/37 Kent Co., MD -2 Sep 1804 New York City)

    From "Historic Families of America" and "The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume IV" and "A Naval History of the American Revolution" by Gardner W. Allen.

    James Nicholson, son of Joseph Nicholson and Hannah (Smith) Scott, was born in Chestertown, Maryland, in 1737 or 1738. He entered upon a sea-faring life at an early age and was with the British fleet when Havana was captured in 1762. From 1763 until 1771, he was a resident of New York City. At the outbreak of the Revolution, he tendered his services to the navy and was placed in command of the DEFENSE, a Maryland vessel with which, in March, 1776, he recaptured several prize ships from the British. In June, 1776, he was placed in command of the VIRGINIA, a 28 gun ship of war. A resolution of Congress, October 10, 1776, declared that the number of captains in the Continental Navy should be 24 and should rank in the order designated. By this resolution, James Nicholson appeared first on the list and was thus senior captain and Commodore-in-Chief of the Continental Navy.
    The VIRGINIA-one of 13 frigates authorized by the Continental Congress on 13 December 1775-was laid down in 1776 at Fells Point, Md., by George Wells; launched that August; and commissioned in the spring of 1777, Capt. James Nicholson in command. When his ship the VIRGINIA was unable to get out of the Chesapeake Bay on account of the British blockade, he and his crew joined the army and fought with George Washington at the battle of Trenton. He returned to his ship the frigate Virginia, which finally got away from Annapolis, Maryland, March 30, in company with a brig which had on board a pilot in whom Nicholson had confidence. At three o'clock the next morning, however, the frigate ran on a shoal. She was forced over, but lost her rudder and was thereupon anchored, leaking badly. At daylight two British men-of-war were discovered, one of them only two gun-shots distant. Nicholson and nine men, with the ship's papers, went ashore in a boat and the Virginia was then surrendered to the enemy. Nicholson afterwards went aboard one of the British vessels in order to parole his officers. He was not court-martialed for the loss of his ship, but Congress instituted an inquiry and acquitted him of blame (Penn. Packet, April 15, 1778; Mar. Com. Letter Book, 124, 129, 138, 150 (January 28, March 4, April 8, May 16, 1778) Barney, 65, 66.)
    Subsequently, Nicholson was appointed captain of the 38 gun frigate TRUMBULL. The Trumbull sailed from New London late in May and had not been long at sea when she fell in with the British letter of marque WATT and was soon engaged in one of the hardest-fought naval actions of the war. In Nicholson's account of the battle he says: "At half past ten in the morning of June [1st], lat. 35. N. long. 64 W. we discovered a sail from the mast-head and immediately handed all our sails, in order to keep ourselves undiscovered until she came nearer to us, she being to windward.At eleven we made her to be a large ship from the deck, coming down about three points upon our quarter; at half past eleven we thought she hauled a point more astern of us. We therefore made sail and hauled upon a wind towards her, upon which she came right down upon our beams; we then took in our small sails, hauled the courses up, hove the main top-sail to the mast, got all clear for action, and waited for her.
    "At half past eleven we filled the main-top (the ship being then about gun-shot to windward of us) in order to try her sailing, also that by her hauling up after us we might have an opportunity of discovering her broadside. She immediately got her main tack out and stood after us; we then observed she had thirteen ports of a side, exclusive of her briddle ports, and eight or ten on her quarter deck and forecastle. After a very short exhortation to my people they most chearfully agreed to fight her; at twelve we found we greatly outsailed her and got to windward of her; we therefore determined to take that advantage. Upon her observing our intention she edged away, fired three shot at us and hoisted British colours as a challenge; we immediately wore after her and hoisted British colours also. This we did in order to get peaceably alongside of her, upon which she made us a private signal and upon our not answering it she gave us the first broadside, we then being under British colours and about one hundred yards distant. We immediately hoisted the Continental colours and returned her a broadside, then about eighty yards distance, when a furious and close action commenced and continued for five glasses, no time of which we were more than eighty yards asunder and the greater part of the time not above fifty; at one time our yard-arms were almost enlocked. She set us twice on fire with her wads, as we did her once; she had difficulty in extinguishing her's, being obliged to cut all her larboard quarter nettings away.
    "At the expiration of the above time my first Lieutenant, after consulting and agreeing with the second, came aft to me and desired I would observe the situation of our masts and rigging, which were going over the side; therefore begged I would quit her before that happened, otherwise we should certainly be taken. I therefore most unwillingly left her, by standing on the same course we engaged on; I say unwillingly, as I am confident if our masts would have admitted of our laying half an hour longer alongside of her, she would have struck to us, her fire having almost ceased and her pumps both going. Upon our going ahead of her she steered about four points away from us. When about musquet shot asunder, we lost our main and mizen topmast and in spite of all our efforts we continued losing our masts until we had not one left but the foremast and that very badly wounded and sprung. Before night shut in we saw her lose her maintopmast. I was in hopes when I left her of being able to renew the action after securing my mast, but upon inquiry found so many of my people killed and wounded and my ship so much of a wreck in her masts and rigging, that it was impossible. We lost eight killed and thirty one wounded; amongst the former was one lieutenant, one midshipman, one serjeant of marines, and one quarter gunner; amongst the latter was one lieutenant, since dead, the captain of marines, the purser, the boatswain, two midshipmen, the cockswain, and my clerk, the rest were common men, nine of which in the whole are since dead. No people shewed more true spirit and gallantry than mine did; I had but one hundred and ninety-nine men when the action commenced, almost the whole of which, exclusive of the officers, were green country lads, many of them not clear of their sea-sickness, and I am well persuaded they suffered more in seeing the masts carried away than they did in the engagement.
    "We plainly perceived the enemy throw many of his men overboard in the action, two in particular which were not quite dead; from the frequent cries of his wounded and the appearance of his hull, I am convinced he must have lost many more men than we did and suffered more in his hull. Our damage was most remarkable and unfortunate in our masts and rigging, which I must again say alone saved him; for the last half hour of the action Imomently expected to see his colours down, but am of opinion he persevered from the appearance of our masts. You will perhaps conclude from the above that she was a British man of war, but I beg leave to assure you that it was not then, nor is it now my opinion; she appeared to me like a French East-Indiaman cut down. She fought a greater number of marines and more men in her tops than we did, the whole of which we either killed or drove below. She dismounted two of our guns and silenced two more; she fought four or six and thirty twelve pounders, we fought twenty-four twelve and six sixes. I beg leave to assure you that let her be what she would, either letter of marque or privateer, I give you my honour that was I to have my choice tomorrow, I would sooner fight any two-and-thirty gun frigate they have on the coast of America, than to fight that ship over again; not that I mean to degrade the British men of war, far be it from me, but I think she was more formidable and was better manned than they are in general." (Almon, x, 225-227.)
    Some further details are given in a letter of Gilbert Saltonstall, captain of marines on the Trumbull. "As soon as she discovered us she bore down for us. We got ready for action, at one o'clock began to engage, and continued without the least intermission for five glasses, within pistol shot. It is beyond my power to give an adequate idea of the carnage, slaughter, havock and destruction that ensued. Let your imagination do its best, it will fall short. We were literally cut all to pieces; not a shroud, stay, brace, bowling or any other of our rigging standing. Our main top-mast shot away, our fore, main, mizen, and jigger masts gone by the board, two of our quarter-deck guns disabled, thro' our ensign 62 shot, our mizen 157, main-sail 560, foresail 180, our other sails in proportion. Not a yard in the ship but received one or more shot, six shot through her quarter above the quarter deck, four in the waste, our quarter, stern, and nettings full of langrage, grape and musket ball. We suffered more than we otherwise should on account of the ship that engaged us being a very dull sailer. Our ship being out of command, she kept on our starboard quarter the latter part of the engagement. After two and a half hours action she hauld her wind, her pumps going; we edged away, so that it fairly may be called a drawn battle." (Independent Chronicle, July 6, 1780.)
    In another letter, of June 19, Saltonstall says: "Our troubles ceased not with the engagement. The next day, the 2nd, it blew a heavy gale of wind, which soon carried away our main and mizen masts by the board, the fore topmast followed them and had it not been for the greatest exertions, our foremast must have gone also, it being wounded in many places, but by fishing and propping it was saved. . . . We remained in this situation till the next day, the 3rd, our men having got a little over the fatigue of the engagement and the duty of the ship; the gale abating we got up jury masts and made the best shift. In the night the gale increased again and continued from that time till we got soundings on George's Banks in 45 fathoms of water the 11th instant. We got into Nantasket the 14th, the day following into the harbor." (Papers New London Hist. Soc., IV, i, 55.)
    The Watt, greatly shattered, got into New York June 11. The accounts of her force vary somewhat. She seems to have mounted twenty-six twelve-pounders and from six to ten sixes. Her crew was reported to number two hundred and fifty, but one New York paper made it one hundred and sixty-four. Her commander, Captain Coulthard, describing the action, says: "Saw a large ship under the lee bow, bearing N. W. by W., distant about three or four miles; supposed her to be a rebel vessel bound to France and immediately bore down upon her. When she perceived we were standing for her she hauled up her courses and hove too. We then found her to be a frigate of 34 or 36 guns and full of men and immediately hoisted our colours and fired a gun; she at the same time hoisted Saint George's colours and fired a gun to leeward. We then took her for one of his Majesty's cruizing frigates and intended speaking to her, but as soon as she saw we were getting on her weather quarter, they filled their topsails and stood to the eastward. We then fired five guns to bring her to, but she having a clean bottom and we foul and a cargo in, could not come up with her. Therefore, finding it a folly to chace, fired two guns into her and wore ship to the westward; at the same time she fired one gun at us, loaded with grape shot and round, and wore after us. Perceiving this, we immediately hauled up our courses and hove too for her.
    "She still kept English colours flying till she came within pistol shot on our weather quarter; she then hauled down English colours and hoisted rebel colours, upon which we instantly gave her three cheers and a broadside. She returned it and we came alongside one another and for above seven glasses engaged yard arm and yard arm; my officers and men behaved like true sons of Old England. While our braces were not shot away, we box-hauled our ship four different times and raked her through the stern, shot away her main topmast and main yard and shattered her hull, rigging and sails very much. At last all our braces and rigging were shot away and the two ships lay along-side of one another, right before the wind; she then shot a little ahead of us, got her foresail set and run. We gave her t'other broadside and stood after her; she could only return us two guns. Not having a standing shroud, stay or back- stay, our masts wounded through and through, our hull, rigging and sails cut to pieces, and being very leaky from a number of shot under water, only one pump fit to work, the other having been torn to pieces by a twelve pound shot, after chasing her for eight hours, lost sight and made the best of our way to this port. We had eleven men killed, two more died the next day, and seventy-nine wounded." (Almon, x, 142, 143; Massachussetts Spy, August 17, 1780; Boston Gazette, June 5, 19, July 24, August 28, 1780; Independent Chronicle, July 6, September 7, 1780; Papers New London Hist. Soc., IV, i, 51-56; Williams, 273.)
    Nicholson received a Letter from the Board of Admiralty, dated June 30, congratulating him upon "the gallantry displayed in the Defence" of his ship in his recent action with the Watt and urging "exertions in Speedily refitting" her. TheTRUMBULL spent the first half of the year 1781 fitting out at Philadelphia for a cruise, under the accustomed difficulties imposed by lack of money and scarcity of seamen.
    The TRUMBULL got to sea at last and took her departure from the Delaware capes August 8; among her lieutenants were Richard Dale and Alexander Murray, a volunteer. She sailed in company with a twenty-four-gun privateer, a fourteen-gun letter of marque and a convoy of twenty-eight merchantmen. The same day three sail were discovered to the eastward, two of which gave chase to the convoy. Night came on rainy and squally and the TRUMBULL carried away her fore-topmast and main-top gallant mast. She was obliged to run before the wind and the rest of the fleet left her. Captain Nicholson reported: "The wreck of the topmast with the yard and rigging laying aback of the foresail and over the bows, the topsail yard arm came through the foresail and on the forecastle, so that with our utmost exertion we could not clear ourselves of the wreck until one of the ships came alongside and the other in sight. Immediately all hands were called to quarters; instead of coming, three quarters of them ran below, put out the lights, matches, &c. With the remainder and a few brave officers we commenced an action with the IRIS for one hour and thirty-five minutes, at the end of which the other ship came up and fired into us. Seeing no prospect of escaping in this unequal contest, I struck, having my first and third lieuts. and Capt. Murray, a volunteer, with eight others wounded and 5 killed. My crew consisted of 180 men, 45 of whom were taken out of the new gaol - prisoners of war; they through treachery and others from cowardice betrayed me, or at least prevented my making the resistance I would have done. At no time of the engagement had I more than 40 men upon deck." (Continental Journal, September 13, 1781.). The British thirty-two-gun frigate IRIS had formerly been the American frigate HANCOCK, captured by the RAINBOW in 1777. Her consort was the eighteen-gun ship GENERAL MONK, also a prize, having been originally an American privateer called the GENERAL WASHINGTON. The TRUMBULL was almost a wreck and was towed into New York by the IRIS. She was not taken into the British service. A few weeks after this the IRIS and another British frigate were captured by the French (Port Folio, May, 1814; Clark, i, 124; Almon, xii, 259, 260; Independent Ledger, October 8,1781; Papers New London Hist. Soc., IV, i, 57, 58.)
    After peace was declared, James Nicholson settled again in New York City and from 1801 to 1804 was a United States Commissioner of Loans. He was interested in public affairs and became one of the leaders of the Republican Party in New York and also exercised a decided influence in New York politics. He was particularly opposed to Alexander Hamilton and was often engaged in controversies with that statesman and his supporters.
    He married, April 30, 1763, Frances Witter of New York, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Lewis) Witter. He died in New York City, September 2, 1804.

    2. Inauguration of George Washington in New York. Taken from: THE FIRST INAUGURATION?PATRIOTIC
    & MASONIC! by Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMS

    On April 23rd, he[George Washington] arrived at Elizabethport, New Jersey. He was met by a committee from Congress and several other notable dignitaries, including Chancellor Robert Livingston (Livingston would administer the oath of office a few days later.)

    At the shore lay waiting a magnificent forty-five-foot-long barge, commanded by Commodore James Nicholson, which had been con-structed at great expense for the occasion. On its deck was a red-curtained enclosure beautifully decorated with festoons and symbols of the new Republic. Rowing the barge were thirteen river pilots dressed in white, who had been especially selected to transport the stately General Washington to Manhattan. Other barges accom-panied the Presidential vessel filled with leading politicians and future Cabinet members.

    3. Upon his return to Annapolis on April 8, 1781, Lafayette wrote to Washington:

    I found that Our preparations were far from Promising a Speedy Departure...the State very desirous to keep us as Long as possible, as they were Scared By the Apparition of the Hope 20 guns and the Monk 18 guns who Blockaded the Harbour and who (as Appeared from the Intercepted Letters) were Determined to Oppose our Movements.(23)

    Capitaine's map shows the British warships that were blockading the harbor until Commodore James Nicholson (1737-1804) drove them off, enabling Lafayette to evacuate Annapolis.(24)

    4. Taken from: Duel: Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr and the Future of America By Thomas Fleming, Perseus Books. 446 pp.

    Friday, March 31,1795, In New York, Alexander Hamilton defended John Jay's treaty vigorously in the newspapers and met the protestors face to face in the streets. The mob was led by prominent Republicans such as Commodore James Nicholson, a veteran of the Revolutionary navy. A shouting match ensued in which Hamilton offered to fight "the whole Detestable faction" one by one. He emerged from the confrontation with two proffered duels, one with Nicholson and another with a member of the Livingston clan. Cooler heads intervened and both challenges were resolved short of gunfire.

    5. Marriages & Deaths from Baltimore Newspapers, Surnames, M-N, Page 237

    Nicholson, Commodore James, died last New York in his 69th year. Obit gives details of revolutionary service. (BA, 6 Sept. 1804).


    New York Historical Society Library Collections

    Author Nicholson family.

    Title Nicholson family papers, 1759-1846.

    Description 1 box (ca. 320 items) Restrictions Access: open to qualified researchers at The New-York Historical Society. Permission note This collection is owned by The New-York Historical Society. Permission to publish materials must be obtained in writing from the Library Director of The New-York Historical Society, Two West 77th Street, New York, NY 10024. Historical note Family of naval officer James Nicholson of Maryland and New York City and his wife, Frances Witter Nicholson; with members residing in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York State, and elswhere. Summary Correspondence, wills, estate papers, accounts, receipts, bills, deeds, and legal and financial papers, 1759-1846, of the family of naval officer James Nicholson of Maryland and New York City and his wife Frances Witter Nicholson. Papers include ca. 144 letters, 1805-1829, written to Frances Witter Nicholson in New York City from her children, James W. Nicholson, of New Geneva, Pennsylvania, Maria Montgomery, of Baltimore, Maryland, Jehoiadden Chrystie, of Newburgh and Albany, New York, Catharine Few, and various grandchildren and members of the related Nicholson, Chrystie and Gallatin families. The letters chiefly concern family matters, social activities, visits and local travel, health and illness, care and progress of the Chrystie and Nicholson children, and references to contemporary politics. Land and estate papers of Frances W. Nicholson include legal and business correspondence, land transfers for New York City properties, indentures, deeds, records of rents collected, accounts, deeds, bills, and estate inventories, 1800-1846, relating to the management and settlement of Mrs. Nicholson's estate and real estate holdings. Correspondents include her son-in-law Albert Gallatin, George Washington Strong, William Few, and various members of the Nicholson, Few, and Chrystie families. Albert Gallatin served as administrator of Mrs. Nicholson's estate. Papers of Commodore James Nicholson include business and personal correspondence concerning shipment and sale goods to and from New York City, debts and finances, and political matters; along with various financial and legal documents such as promissory notes, letters of attorney, receipts, bills, notes, Mr. Nicholson's will of 1777, and papers pertaining to various stock and land holdings. Family papers also include the 1787 will of Frances Witter Nicholson's father, Thomas Witter, of New York City, along with a few miscellaneous accounts, four letters concerning the transport and sale of a slave woman and her child for Witter by ship's captain Johnson Basden, documents and cadastral maps pertaining to property owned by Witter in New York City, and an 1833 document granting Albert Chrystie power of attorney for James Chrystie.


    Witter/Nicholson Bible found on film

    Posted by: Patricia R. Causey

    found a copy of an old bible with Thomas Witter & Catherine Van Zandt and their daughter Francis, who married Capt. James Nicholson in New York on a film about the Crawford family. "Thomas Witter of the Island of Bermuda was married to his second wife 17th of May A.D. 1748 Catherine, daughter of Wynant & Catharine Van Zandt of the City of New York. She departed this life on Saturday the 7th of October 1773 in the 53 year of her life. Thomas Witter departed this life the 20th of October A.D. 1786 aged 73? years. His remains were interred in the family Vault Trinity Church __. His only surviving child Francis Witter was married to Capt. James Nicholson, of the Province of Maryland, by the Rev. _____, Rector of Trinity Church, on the 1st of May A.D. 1763 James Nicholson departed this life at his residence in Ly___ near the City of New York on the 2d of September A.D. 1834. His remains were interred in the family Vault Trinity Church yard, aged ___ years......
    Frances Witter his wife & daughter of Thomas Witter & Mary Lewis, ____ departed this life at Greenwich August 14th ___ 1832 aged ___ years. Her remains were interred in the family Vault Trinity Church, in the City of New York. Their children were eight in number. Viz? Catharine(Nicholson), married to William Few of the State of Georgia. She was born 7th of August A.D. 1764, married in the City of New York by the Rev. ___ July the 8th 1788. Hannah (Nicholson)- Born September 11th A.D. 1766 married in the City of New York to Albert Gallatin of Geneva in Switzerland- afterward of New York. Witter? (Nicholson)- born 5th of March A.D. 1769. Died September 7th 1769. Frances (Nicholson)- born 24 of March A.D. 1771 Married to Joshua Leary? State of Maryland. James Witter (Nicholson)- Born 21st April A.D. 1773. married to Ann Griffin State of Pennsylvania. Maria (Nicholson)... Born 7th September A.D. 1775. married to John Montgomery in the State of Maryland. Thomas Witter (Nicholson). Born, 24th May A.D. 1778. Died May 2d A.D. 1779. Ishoiadden? (Nicholson) Born 2d May A.D. 1783. Married to James Chrystie? __ Died in Albany 28th December A.D. 1828. Pattie
  • Change Date: 3 Sep 2012 at 23:05:47

    Father: Joseph NICHOLSON b: 6 Aug 1709 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland c: 18 Oct 1709 in All Hallow's, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
    Mother: Hannah SMITH b: 14 Mar 1708 in Kent County, Maryland

    Marriage 1 Frances WITTER b: 19 Jan 1743/1744
    • Married: 30/1 Apr/May 1763 in Trinity Church, New York City
    • Note:
      1. James Nicholson found in:
      New York City, 1600s-1800s Marriage Index
      Spouse: Frances Witter Marriage Date: 1763 Location: New York City County: New York State: New York Marriage ID: 2220300555 Publication: The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (quarterly), 1939, selected extracts Page: 168 Publisher: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Published: New York, NY Comments: On microfilm at Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

      2. Trinity Church, Broadway and Wall Street, NYC, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1750
      Husband Name: Nicholson, James
      Date: 05/01/1763 Witness(s): Church: Trinity
      Minister: Auchmuty, Samuel
      Wife Name: Witter, Frances

      3. James Nicholson found in:
      Selected Areas of New York, 1639-1916 Marriage Index
      Spouse: Frances Witter Marriage Date: Apr 30, 1763 County: Province of New York Additional Marriage Information: The original information is recorded in Marriage Bonds, volume VII, page 158. Location: This marriage is recorded and/or took place at NY. Source Information: Tucker, Gideon J. "Names of Persons for Whom Marriage Licenses Were Issued". 1860. Contains the following information: Pub Info spanning 16??-1784. Kinship Publication Code: 2-12

    1. Has Children Catherine NICHOLSON b: 7 Aug 1764 in New York, New York
    2. Has Children Hannah NICHOLSON b: 11 Sep 1766 in New York, New York
    3. Has No Children Witter NICHOLSON b: 5 Mar 1769 in New York, New York
    4. Has Children Frances (Fanny) NICHOLSON b: 24 Mar 1771 in New York, New York
    5. Has Children James Witter NICHOLSON b: 20/21 Apr 1773 in Maryland
    6. Has Children Maria NICHOLSON b: 7 Sep 1775 in Maryland
    7. Has No Children Thomas Witter NICHOLSON b: 22 May 1778
    8. Has Children Jehoiadden NICHOLSON b: 2 May 1783 in New York, New York
    9. Has No Children Other daughters? (Patty?) NICHOLSON

    1. Title: Witter/Nicholson Family Bible

      Bible on an LDS film with genealogical papers about many families (mostly in the South).

      "Thomas Witter, of the Island Of Bermuda, was married to his second wife 17th of May 1748 Catharine, daughter of Wynant & Catharine Van Zandt of the City of New York. She departed this life on Saturday the 7th of October 1773 in the 53 year of her life.

      Thomas Witter departed this life the 20th of October A.D. 1786 aged 73? years. His remains were interred in the family Vault Trinity Church__. His only surviving child Frances Witter was married to Capt. James Nicholson, of the Province of Maryland, by the Rev. Samuel? ___, Rector of Trinity Church, on the 1st of May A.D. 1763.

      James Nicholson departed this life at his residence in Ly____ near the City of New York on the 2d of September A.D. 1834. His remains were interred in the family Vault Trinity Church yard, aged ___ years.....

      Frances Witter his wife & daughter of Thomas Witter & Mary Lewis, ___ departed this life at Greenwich August 14th A.D. 1832 aged ___ years. Her remains were interred in the family Vault Trinity Church, in the City of New York. Their children were eight in number.

      (children of James Nicholson & Frances Witter)
      Viz? Catharine, married to William Few of the State of Georgia. She was born 7th of August A.D. 1764, married in the City of New York by the Rev.___ July the 8th 1788.

      Hannah- Born September 11th A.D. 1766 Married in the City of New York to Albert Gallatin of Geneva in Switzerland & afterward of New York.

      Witter? - born 5th of March A.D. 1769. Died September 7th 1769.

      Frances - born 24 of March A.D. 1771 Married to Joshua Leary?? State of Maryland.

      James Witter- Born 21st April A.D. 1773. married to Ann Griffin State of Pennsylvania.

      Maria... Born 7th September A.D. 1775. married to John Montgomery in the State of Maryland.

      Thomas Witter. Born 24th May A.D. 1778. Died May 2d A.D. 1779.

      Jahoiadden ? Born 2d May A.D. 1783. Married to James Chrystie?___ Died in Albany 28th December A.D. 1828.

  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Today! Join Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.