Name: Joanna NICHOLSON
Given Name: Joanna
Birth: 18 Apr 1876 or 1 Jun 1875/76 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland
Death: Jun 1964 in Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Burial: 1964 Friendship Cemetery, near Preston, Maryland
1. 1900 Pennsylvania Census
1 2 3
Change Date: 15 Jan 2009 at 21:07:17
Ward 27 Philadelphia
A Joanna Nicholson of the right age and born June 1875 in MD was living as a boarder in the household of Frank Gemmill, age 48, born DL, manager agriculture machinery
Nicholson, Joanna Boarder b. June 1875 MD Singe Parents born MD Clerk dry goods
2. 1920 Maryland Census. "Living in Easton, Maryland in 1920 with daughters Anna and Mary Ella.
Occupation: Housekeeper in private home."
3. 1930 Maryland Census
822 Baltimore Road 16th Ward
Taylor, Joanna Head 53 b. MD
" Mary E. daughter 22 b. MD Teacher public school
Smith, Frank 5 boarder b. MD
" Frank S. 41 boarder b. MD salesman Hecht Co.
Also at same address:
Hahn, Gordon Head 27 b. MD ar? maintenance Hutzler Bros.
" Bertha wife 29 b. MD
" Robert son 3 b. MD
" Jane daughter 1 6/12 b. MD
4. From Gordon Heisler, her grandson:
Joanna lived with her daughter, Anna, and her family part of the time in Annville, Lehighton, and Loyalton, PA, and again with them in Leola, PA, where they moved when Ann's husband died in 1962. Joanna died in June 1964 in the hospital in Ephrata, PA from complications of diabetes
5. QA Co. Land Records
15 Aug 1905
Joanna sold the brick house on Commerce St. in Centreville which she had inherited from her grandmother to her aunt Annie B. Price for $3,050.
"parcel of land situate, lying, and being on the west side of Commerce Street in the town of Centreville, Queen Anne's County, State of Maryland, improved by a small brick dwelling house, with a frame second story presently added, adjoining on the north the property of the devises of the late Augustus McCabe and on the south side of the property of the said Annie B. Price being the same property which was devised to the said Joanna Nicholson by Ann C. Nicholson, late of said County, deceased, by her last will and testament duly admitted to probate and recorded among the will records in the Office of the Register of Wills of Queen Anne's County aforesaid in Liber F.R. No. 1 folio 255, the land hereby conveyed being the north half of the lot of land which was conveyed to the said Ann C. Nicholson by Benjamin C. Watson and Elizabeth Watson,his wife, by deed bearing date the twenty six day of May eighteen hundred and eight two and recorded among the land records of Queen Anne's County aforesaid in Liber S.C.D. No. 1 folio 465..."
Test: R. Hopper Smith (Justice of the Peace)
5. Birth date from grandson, Gordon Heisler. Social Security death index lists date of birth as 1 Jun 1876
7. In 1900 Pennsylvania Census, there was a Joanna Nicholson, born June 1875 in Maryland, living in Philadelphia (Ward 27) as a boarder in the household of Frank G(?)emmill. Her occupation was clerk in dry goods store.
Father: Hopper Emory NICHOLSON b: 14 Aug 1849 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland
Mother: Sarah Louisa EMORY b: 1852 in Baltimore, Maryland
George Merrill TAYLOR b: 27 Sep 1858 in Caroline County, Maryland
Bet 1900 and 1906
- Anna Nicholson TAYLOR b: 22 Oct 1906 in Preston, Talbot or Caroline County, Maryland
- Mary Ella TAYLOR b: 29 Jan 1908 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Title: Information from Gordon Heisler of New York State
- Title: 1930 Maryland Census
- Title: 1920 Maryland Census
Text: Living in Easton, Maryland in 1920 with daughters Anna and Mary Ella.
Occupation: Housekeeper in private home.