Sex: F 1
Change Date: 15 Apr 2002 at 21:08:49
- Change Date:
15 Apr 2002
- C. H. Tangeman b: 11 OCT 1817 in Hanover, Germany
- Title: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882
Publication: Inter-State Publishing Co.,
Text: There are two mills in the township, of which the following are brief histories:
The Garnavillo Mill, located on Buck Creek, on the Clayton road, was built about 1857 by John Tangeman. He owned it till 1872, when he sold it to Augustus Wehler. After a year or so Diedrich Benter became proprietor, and in 1873 it was bought by Geo. W. Kennedy, who is now sole owner. It is of brick, 26 x 37, three and a half stories in height. It cost about $9,000. It has three run of stone, of which Mr. Kennedy put in one. It first had but two.
C. H. Tangeman, one of the prominent men of Clayton County, was born in Hanover, Germany, Oct. 11, 1817, and was a son of Gerhardt and Marguerite Tangeman of German birth. He was educated in the schools of his native land and there learned the carpenter's trade. He came to the United States in 1840, and worked at his trade in Ohio three years, then engaged in the milling business there for eleven years. After the expiration of that time he came to Clayton and bought 440 acres on section 21, Read Township, which he now has under good cultivation and containing many excellent improvements. On May 22, 1846, he was united in marriage to Wilhelmina, daughter of Benjamin and Dorathea Koop, natives of Germany. They came to the United States in 1835 and located in Auglaise County, O., where they both died. Mr. and Mrs. Tangemann have had ten children, of who Henry, born Jan. 24, 1848; Wm. August, July 2, 1850; Amelia Anna, Oct. 10, 1856; August F., Nov. 29, 1858; Henry J., Dec. 6, 1860; Edward H., Feb. 17, 1863; Benjamin G., May 27, 1865, and Mahala Ann, Sept. 8, 1869, are living; Justina, born Apr. 5, 1852, died Oct. 22, 1853, and Georgiana Josephina Charlotte, born July 1, 1854, and died June 8, 1861. Mr. Tangeman and family are members of the Luheran church. He votes the Republican ticket. History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 1078.
Garnavillo Twp. -- J. H. Tangeman, general merchant, Garnavillo, is a native of Ohio, born in January, 1848. He came to Clayton County with his parents in 1856. His father, C. H. Tangeman, is one of the prominent citizens of Read Township. Mr. Tangeman was married Mary Schumacher, daughter of Hermann H. Schumacher. They have had five children, three of whom are living. Mr. Tangeman established his business here in 1875.
This brewery was built about 1855, one-half mile west of the village of Garnavillo, by J. C. Kuenzel, who operated it for some time and sold it to H. C. Meyer. The transfer was made Nov. 12, 1863. At that time the brewery consisted of only one part of what now stands, the other part having been built later. Mr. Meyer, in February, 1867, sold the property to Henry Schumacher. Mr. Schumacher moved with his family into the residence adjoining the brewery and there lived and operated the same until his death, which occurred Aug. 11, 1881. Mrs. Schumacher still lives there and manages the business. The second part of the building as put up by Mr. Schumacher in 1869. The first building is 22 x 60, two and a half stories in height. The second part is 22 x 48, and of the same height. The malt-house is 20 x 24:. The fomenting house 12 x 24. This establishment brews on an average 600 to 700 barrels of beer a year, and has produced as much as 800 barrels in a single year. The beer is supplied Garnavillo, Clayton, Clayton Centre, Ceres, Motor and other places. About 2,000 bushels of barley and over 1,000 pounds hops are used annually. This grain is raised all in the neighborhood. The brewery and land on which it is built cost about $18,000. Henry Schumacher was born in Hanover, Dec. 1821. His father, Carsten Schumacher, was a blacksmith trade, and Henry learned this trade as he grew up, and he had also a full training in the schools of Hanover. He worked at his trade in Germany till he was twenty-four years of age, and then emigrated to America. He was four months on the voyage and landed March 4, 1846. Landing at New Orleans, he worked at trade with his uncle for a while, and then came north, arriving at Garnavillo, July 3. Here he worked for a farmer named Burkhardt a few months. Then he was in the employ of William Schulte for a short time. Then he worked for Reuben Noble, in Garnavillo. The Herald, of Elkader, said, at the time of Mr. Schumacher's death that "Rueben Noble never had a truer friend then Henry Schumacher." After leaving Mr. Noble he entered a farm in Read Township, now owned by a Mr. Buckman. This was in 1849. Here he remained until 1854. He then bought a farm near Clayton Center, owned by Henry Wilkes. On this farm he remained until 1865, when, in company with J. L. Hagensick, he built the brewery at McGregor. In November, 1866, he bought a farm near Postville, and remained there till February, 1867, when he bought the brewery near Garnavillo, where he remained until the time of his death. Mr. Schumacher was married Dec. 24, 1852, to Margerethe Hagensick. By this union there were ten children, of whom seven are living--Mary (Mrs. Tangeman), Christian W., John F., Maggie (Mrs. Roebken) Amelia, Henry and Bertha. Mr. Schumacher was always a Republican. He was for many years a Justice of the Peace. He was a member of the Lutheran church.
Sperry Twp. -- Daniel Green, farmer, was born in the ancient town of Wittlesea, county of Cambridge, England, Dec. 22, 1818. Until he was of the age of sixteen years, he lived on his father;s farm. He then helped lay the track of the London & Northwestern road, the second railroad of any consequence that was ever built. He followed track-laying until 1852. June 21, 1840, he was united in marriage to Mary Hartley Brown, of Wittlesea. Apr. 4, 1852, he set sail for America, being one month on the voyage. Proceeding to Cleveland, he found employment for one year in a soap and candle factory. He worked here at delivering goods, and at the expiration of the year knew every street and store in the city of Cleveland. In the spring of 1853 he rented ten acres of land in East Cleveland. Here he followed market gardening for two seasons. In October, 1854, he moved to Clayton County with his brother James and family, and during the winter lived in a log cabin which stood where Tangeman's grist-mill now stands, between Clayton and Garnavillo. This was then called "Forbes' Hollow." In the spring of 1855 he removed to Boardman Township, four miles west of Elkader, and built the second house on the Elkader and East Union road, the first having been built just previously. In the spring of 1856 he moved to section 25, Boardman Township, and built a brick house. Selling out in the fall of 1858, he removed to Cox Creek Township, where he lived the following winter. The next spring he located on section 18, Boardman Township, where he lived until Feb. 15, 1867, when he purchased his present home, on section 11, Sperry Township. Mr. Green has no family of his own, but in 1855 he adopted an orphan name Peter Bowhart, who took the name of Peter B Green. He has a wife and three children, and still lives with Mr. Green. The family now own 407 acres of land well stocked, and free from incumbrance. Mr. Green is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has held various local offices, and is one of the most highly respected citizens of Sperry Township. History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 1096-1097
Date: 15 Apr 2002