Name: Thomas MENDENHALL
Birth: 1630 in Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England
Death: 4 JUL 1682 in Somerset House, London, Middlesex, England
Christened Ramsbury Parish, 2 miles East of Marlborough, England
Burial: 30 JUN 1682 Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England
Two sons and a daughter of Thomas emigrated to America; Benjamin, John and Mary. They landed at Philadelphia in the Fall of 1682. Benjamin and John purchased two thousand acres of land from William Penn for the sum of three pounds per hundred acres and a tax of ten shillings a year to England on every one hundred acres. The land was located on both sides of the Brandywine River in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Later it was divided into farms and occupied by a number of the descending families. It has all passed out of the family name, except Springdale Farm which is located among the hills and fertile fields of southwestern Pennsylvania, close to the beautiful historic Brandywine where Washington and Lafayette played an important part during the Revolutionary War. Another son, Moses and his older sister Margery and her husband Thomas Martin and their four young daughters arrived on the ship "Unicorn" from Bristol England on December 16, 1685.
As the Mendenhalls were Quakers or member of the Society of Friends, of high standing, they were opposed to war, refused to bear arms and were not active participants in the Revolutionary nor Civil Wars. However, they often provided medical care for the wounded of the battles and some of the Mendenhall used their teams to haul cannon and supplies at the Battle of Brandywine which was fought upon and around the original Mendenhall farm. Some of them were cast out of the Friends Meeting at Kennett, Pennsylvania, for their activities in the Revolution, helping Generals Washington and LaFayette.
Thomas' will, dated June 2, 1682, was proved in Prerogative Court of Canterbury at Somerset House, London, England, November 17, 1682.
Father: Thomas MENDENHALL b: 24 DEC 1609 in Marridge Hill, Ramsbury, England
Joane STROODE\STRODE b: 1623 in Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England
12 AUG 1649
in Marriage Hill, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England
- Margery MENDENHALL b: BET. 1655 - 1658 in Ramsbury, England
- Thomas MENDENHALL b: 1657 in Ramsbury, England
- John MENDENHALL b: 30 OCT 1659 in Ramsbury, England
- Joane MENDENHALL b: BET. 1657 - 1661 in Ramsbury, England
- Benjamin MENDENHALL b: 14 APR 1662 in Ramsbury, England
- Stephen MENDENHALL b: 21 AUG 1664 in Ramsbury, England
- Moses MENDENHALL b: 24 NOV 1666 in Ramsbury, England
- Aaron MENDENHALL b: 1669 in Ramsbury, England
- Mary MENDENHALL b: BET. 1662 - 1663 in Ramsbury, England
- George MENDENHALL b: 21 MAR 1662/63 in Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England
- Joan MENDENHALL b: 1671 in Little Bedwyn, Wiltshire, England
- Marjorie MENDENHALL b: 1667 in Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England