Name: George WITHERS
Given Name: George
Birth: 14 OCT 1802 in Thatcham,Greenham,Berkshire,UK
Christening: 7 NOV 1802 Thatcham,Greenham,Berkshire,UK
Death: 29 AUG 1878 in Gurrundah,Breadalbane,NSW,Australia
Burial: 31 AUG 1878 Mutmutbilly,near Breadalbane,NSW,Australia
BIOGRAPHY: George Withers was born in Greenham, England, United Kingdom in 1802.
He sailed from Portsmouth on 28 Aug 1823 as a convict. The trial was held in
London. He received a seven year sentence for theft, and was assigned to Amos
Crisp at Minto, New South wales, Australia. He arrived in Sydney on the
'Guildford' on 05 Mar 1824. In 1830 he received his certificate of freedom.
BIOGRAPHY: In 1835 he was sentenced to 3 years at Moreton Bay for larceny,
leaving NSW 8 Jun 1835 and returning 7 Jul 1837 (time off for good behaviour?).
Apart from Amos Crisp, he also worked for James White and a Mrs Hume. Following
his certificate of freedom, he became a farmer and a settler.
BIOGRAPHY: In June 1830, he received permission to marry Susannah. According to
family lore, George, a Catholic, converted to Church of England. However, a few
years before his death, George reverted to Catholicism.
MARRIAGE: married at the Church of England
marriage certificate 1830/0 (V18304959 3B) or 1830/0 (V1830225 14) - NSW Number
225 of Volume 14, parish of St Peter, Campbelltowwn County of Cumberland, NSW.
Application P 49230/80 WD
DEATH: wrote his last will on 22 Jan 1877 (# 2781) death certificate 5987/1878 -
BIOGRAPHY: George and his sons became teamsters, working the area between Sydney
and Albury. Eventually, they based themselves at Breadalbane.
BIOGRAPHY: He was listed on George Alexander Wither's death certificate as being
BURIAL: Buried at St Bridgid's Catholic Church (built 1865), 9 km north-west of
Note: BURIAL: His gravestone reads "George Withers, died 29/08/1878 aged 88"
Breadalbane, 23 km by road from Gunning.
Sources: Australian Vital Records Index 1788-1905 R-Z Marriage Records
Spouse: LLOYD, Susannah
Index Year: 1830
Reg Year: 1830 Reg State: New South Wales
Ref Number: V18304959 3B
Parish: Campbelltown, St Peter's (Co. Airds), Church of England Death Records
Index Year: 1878
Reg Year: 1878 Reg State: New South Wales
Ref Number: 5987
Father: John WITHERS b: ABT FEB 1771 in prob Lambourne,Berkshire,UK c: 24 FEB 1771 in Lambourne,Berkshire,UK
Mother: Hannah BURGESS b: in sometime around,1760-1770s
Susannah LLOYD b: ABT 1802 in Manchester,UK
4 AUG 1830
- Divorced: N
- John WITHERS b: 15 MAY 1831 in NSW,Australia c: ABT MAY 1831 in NSW,Australia
- George WITHERS b: 11 MAR 1832 in NSW,Australia
- Richard WITHERS b: 3 FEB 1833
- Samuel R WETHERS b: 5 NOV 1833 in NSW,Australia c: ABT NOV 1833 in NSW,Australia
- Edward WITHERS b: 1838 in NSW,Australia
- James WITHERS b: 6 DEC 1839 in NSW,Australia
- George Alexander WITHERS b: 28 MAY 1841 in Gunning,NSW,Australia c: 3 OCT 1846 in Gunning,NSW,Australia
- Hannah Mary (Mary) WITHERS b: 7 MAY 1843 in NSW,Australia
- Henry WITHERS b: 21 AUG 1844 in New South Wales,Australia
- Francis WITHERS b: 31 MAR 1847 in NSW,Australia
- Alfred WITHERS b: 6 SEP 1847 in NSW,Australia
- Joseph W WITHERS b: 18 APR 1851 in NSW,Australia